Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Using brute force to test Sendmail passwords.

From: Jonathan Bowman <Jonathan.Bowman () Colorado EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:40:10 -0600 (MDT)

Maybe give John the Ripper a shot.  It's available for multiple OSes (including
Linux).

http://www.openwall.com/john/

Good luck,
-Jonathan

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Rolando Ruiz C. wrote:

Hi everyone,
i'm implementing a password security policy for all mail users on a
sendmail server (redhat 7.3), and i need to know if all users DID follow
the insructions (min lenght = 5, not only A-Z chars, etc). My question is:
is there a way to pick the passwords file to make some brute force test,
automatically? (any tool?) (any other way to test them?)

thanks a lot!

PD: excuse my english, its not my native language :(

--
Rolando Ruiz.

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm