Security Basics mailing list archives

Program with Functionality Similar to UpdateEXPERT?

From: "Jason Balicki" <kodak () frontierhomemortgage com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:13:15 -0500

I run a mixed Microsoft (clients) and *nix (servers) shop.

As our company grows it becomes harder and harder to keep
the windows client boxes up to date.

In order to run SUS I'd need to convert to an all MS shop,
and the only program I've found to do anything similar is
UpdateEXPERT.  I downloaded the trial, and it seems OK (I
really like the "silent update" option), but I was wondering
if anyone knew about any similar programs that I can evaluate
(commercial or Free).  I'd really hate to plop down a grand
on this software without evaluating everything out there.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to achieve equivilent
functionality without third part applications, let me
know that too.  I flirted with the idea of doing updates
with the (samba controlled) logon scripts, but the more
I think about it, the more of a nightmare that might be.

I have googled for answers, but if this is a FAQ just
say so and I'll go away quietly and dig deeper.

TIA,

--J(K)

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com