Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Remotely manage Zone Alarm

From: "Zachary Mutrux" <zmutrux () compumentor org>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:12:22 -0700

There are legal implications when it comes to monitoring employees.
Especially if the computer (presumably a laptop) does not belong to the
company. You should consult with counsel before proceeding.
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2002/towns-2002-01.html

If the following are true:

- user is in your office
- you have physical access to the computer
- he leaves it unattended

Then it should be a simple matter to open the ports on Zone Alarm so you can
remotely access it over the network to perform whatever monitoring is
necessary.

You can record TCP/IP sessions originating from his computer and analyze
them to identify what he is doing.

You could also announce a new company policy regarding the use of personal
firewalls, under the guise of improving security. Tell everyone that you are
deploying a managed client firewall solution like the ones offered by
Symantec and McAfee. Use that as an excuse to remove ZoneAlarm from his PC.

Zac