Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: order directive confusion

From: Martchukov Anton <vhlist () yandex ru>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:48:23 +0400

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:22:52 +0000
"SB CH" <chulmin2 () hotmail com> wrote:

When I use order directive at apache(httpd.conf),
proftpd(proftpd.conf), some confusion.

I also had a lot of trouble with this in Apache. However, I can't
comment for proftpd, but it is possibly the same.

When I set like this, I can connect to the directory.
<Limit GET>
  Order deny,allow
   allow from all
   deny from all
</Limit>

I belive "Order deny,allow" means that if a host satisfies both
directives allow and deny, than access will be allowed for such a host.

But I can't connect to the directory below set.

<Limit GET>
  Order allow,deny
   allow from all
   deny from all
</Limit>

And otherwise. "Order allow,deny" disables access for a host matching
both directives. As in your example.

the manual says like this.
How an I understand the correct meaning of the order directive?

I was also unclear with the manual, so correct me, if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps.

--
E-mail: vhlist () yandex ru

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com