Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows XP Pro cracker?

From: "Raoul Armfield" <armfield () amnh org>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:18:51 -0400

:-----Original Message-----
:From: Halverson, Chris [mailto:chris.halverson () encana com]
:Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 12:18 PM
:To: 'George Peek'; 'logan () tntnetworx net'; Secuirty Basics
:with SecuirtyFocus.com
:Subject: RE: Windows XP Pro cracker?
:
:That doesn't work it has to be the original password from the
:installation.
:I have personally thought that that sucks with the 2k and XP
:installations
:but oh well.
:
:Chris

HUH???  I have changed many a local admin password using another
account that is part of the admin group and never lost any settings
unless you have used the builtin encryption.  But if that is the case
even using the linux boot disk will leave you SOL IIRC.

Raoul

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com