Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: PIX firewall and ICMP

From: "John Hollyoak" <mail () jhollyoak com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:03:24 -0400

Cat Thrasher,

Perhaps instead of using a permit ANY to ANY rule for ICMP traffic, you
could make the rules more granular, using specific IP's and ranges.  Have
people provide a valid justification as to why they need to propagate this
type of traffic over your PIX.  Our company has specific policies on ICMP
traffic, and you need to justify beyond a 'shadow of a doubt' why it is
worth the risk.

Just a thought...

John