Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Keyloggers and Countermeasures

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:48:50 -0600

I think I remember that I found a nice article on neworder.box.sk or blacksun.box.sk --> one of them actually has an interesting approach to keylogers (written as a program for windows) which can fool many of the "keylog-detecters".

The paper is fun and if you don't find it let me know; I'll try to find it for you.

Tomas

Hagen, Eric wrote:

Can anyone suggest a really strong resource containing up to date info on
the study of keylogging and countermeasures.  I've done searches and read
books on the topic and have found little aside from the extremely inelegant
approaches (such as a keyboard 'dongle').  I'm more interested in the
software-based approaches, primarily because they are more elegant, easier
to conceal and have interesting implications as far as software
countermeasures go.

I'm interested in information baout the progress of software keyloggers and
the
countermeasures and detection software associated with them.  I've found
some very outdated information dated around 1996 when Software keyloggers
were just emerging for Windows 95.  What about fully memory protected,
password secured systems like Windows 2000?  What about the countermeasures
such as AntiVirus software, anti-spyware software?

Are there any keyloggers that give realtime network reports?  Otherwise,
what are the most commonly used keylogging software?

I don't expect a single, vast response covering all of these, but if anyone
has anything to contribute, feel free.  If you can think of a book or an
online resource that is has very up to date info and cutting edge discussion
of these, I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope this doesn't belong more in the Forensics area.

Thanks,
Eric Hagen