Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Comcast and IPSec traffic

From: "Gaydosh, Adam" <GaydoshA () ctcgsc org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:43:40 -0400

maybe a bit OT, but a general question/gripe about cable ISPs...it seems to
me they have a monopoly on their respective service area's, so what is to
stop them from implementing the 'super-pro' service as the only option
allowing IPSec but costly $XXX more...there is presumably some restriction
in place or wouldn't they be doing this already?  Understood that they must
compete with DSL in areas where that is available, but I would guess that in
the majority of their service areas there is not an alternate high-speed
ISP.  It seems I would have little recourse but reverting to dial-up if they
decided to double my fee...