Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Accessing the File server

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:26:42 -0400

It is always a rish to run services on a public network... But it is necesary too :-) ... I would look at tcp wrappers and configured /etc/inetd.conf (man for help), and also two files /etc/hosts.deny & /etc/hosts.allow -- I have one thing, allow overrides deny, so ALL: ALL setting in deny doesn't neceserily mean that no user could remotly connect to the machine -- that is why we have hosts.allow :-). Some FTP deamonst create their own password file, so I believe that if the users are properly sorted, marked, etc., it should give enough flexibility to set boundaries by the group or owner number.
Another would be static IP and VPN....Good luck with that too ;-)
Tomas

Kanwar Sidhu wrote:

Hi There,
I got file server Red Hat Linux that is accessible only inside from my
organization. I am just wondering is there any kind of secure method so
that people can access files from the outside world without any hitch
with security. I was thinking is there any kind of web interface method
so that people just enter there user names & get access to files. But
this I think will involve running web server which I don't want to do.
Is there any other solution out there ???

Thanks,

Kanwar Sidhu

---