Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: wireless help

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:15:24 -0600

But the problem is, that after WEP is cracked (talking easy with 802.11b), one has total access to traffic (for passive listening) and the network (nodes, bandwith, wherever this LAN leads to -- Internet, internet... etc.). Let's not forget that unauthorized wireless user can be a user that wants to be unauthorized, not just an accidental cross-authorization. So if some relies on WEP and complexity of maintaining mac filter rules for mobile users is unreachable, then we should look at some "unconventional" solutions. IP filter doesn't change much, since by observing decoded traffic for a while one can pretty much guess what "ranges" or selective IPs are allowed. DHCP would make it just "automatic". In WPA, there is a technology (if I remember corectly - it might be somewhere else though :-), maybe one of the cisco wireless aps) that looks at the "manufacturer" part of MAC and can tell spoofed MAC. But that is just a little off topic :-)

Just my little something...
Tomas

George Peek wrote:
Without the use of a valid WEP key the unauthorized wireless user will not
be able to get an IP in the 1st place.