Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: a basic lesson in security

From: "Andy Cuff [Talisker]" <lists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:39:02 -0000

Paul,
This indeed is an age old problem that won't go away, the suggestion you
make is appropriate and should be encouraged amongst all members of the
list.
My personal pet hate is information leakage within the posts themselves. I
remember a post to a public list for a particular firewall vendor some years
ago.  Not only did the guy identify exactly which model of firewall but also
the exact operating system, worst of all was his US Army address and
telephone number, a quick search on his email header identified the Fort to
which he was assigned and worst of all a quick Google search on his
telephone number produced his entire organisational chart including names,
phone numbers and email addresses.  Social Engineering prey for any foreign
intelligence service.  I was so impressed, I made a PowerPoint presentation
about it to highlight the dangers of information leakage.

take care
-andy
Talisker Security Tools Directory
http://www.securitywizardry.com