Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with tech nology

From: "Hagen, Eric" <ehagen () DenverNewspaperAgency com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:02:15 -0600

The fact is that in the US, an individual would likely be arrested for even
threatening to release this information.  The problem with the countries
overseas is that US laws, especially the privacy laws, are virtually
unenforcable.  While the activity of releasing that information it illegal
in the US, it is not usually illegal in another country, therefore, even if
the individual released that information while residing in his native
country, his actions would be entirely lawfull, and even under extradition
treaties, the US would have little or no recourse in sequestering that
information, which is a huge problem.

Just my 2c.

Eric