Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: 'masking' or 'hiding' am ip address from a web browser

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:33:20 -0600

well, there are some ways... But to operate and see "http://host.domain.suffix"; instead of "nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn", the client needs to resolve the name into an IP.. And that is done by using DNS Server. I don't know if there is some sort of a registry entry that could "hardcode" this NAME --> IP translation. And sloppy version is, if you are on a switched network (no layer 3 devices in the way), one can use "computer_name" (I think it must be the same broadcast domain) in IEX... But that is kind of useless.

Good luck -- Tomas

Bryan Sultanik wrote:

How can I mask or hide my ip address behind a 'friendly name' when users
access my web app via web browser. Currently, when they hit the app, their
browser shows  192.xx.xxx.xx instead of 'myserver'. I am running Web logic 7
on a Win2k server, have specifically chosen not to register the server in
our enterprise DNS for security reasons.
Thanks in advance.
--Bryan

Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new network analysis tool that makes the complex - easy
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021