Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with technology

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:04:51 +0000

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 08:25 AM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with technology

I would like to point out another side of the story. I would agree that
privilege information shouldn't be outsourced. It shouldn't even be
outsourced to another company, whether local or overseas. On the other hand,
we should bear in mind that off shoring a job does not necessary mean that
it is less secure. A disgruntled local employee could do the same thing.
What makes a local employee more trustworthy than an offshore worker?

Only the fact that it is easier to observe the actions of a local employee. . .

You can have the best security in place but it can be compromised by a
single employee. Can we ever replace trust with technology?

Only when we physically get wired up. . . and frankly, I'm not letting my employer OR my government control my brain. .
.

Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new
network analysis tool that
makes the complex - easy
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021