Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Can I update a new patch for the whole windows computers of m

From: kurtis.myers () us army mil
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:21:52 +0200

Use of SUS is an option; but when implementing it is critical that 1) the
machines are current with patches, or 2) the SA must properly approve the
installation of the patch.  It was our experience that when approving
patches with SUS there is no control for the sequence of applying the patch;
therefore one may get an older patch installed after an earlier one which
will negate the effects.  Once all systems are updated in the proper
sequence then SUS is a good tool for patch application.  One also must
understand their architechture to ensure that the background activity
doesn't impede normal operation.

Kurt Myers