Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MAC address

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:51:50 -0600

Hello,

here we bumped into a OSI problem. Because MAC is a support sublayer of DataLink Layer, which is concerned only about node-to-node communication; while end-to-end (client-to-website) is usually composed of many node-to-node connections. For end-to-end communication are responisble "network-supporting" layers (namely network and transport). Therefore MAC addresses differs each and every single node-to-node communication.
By example I would look at it from the "webserver" point-of-view:
if the server is one computer and is connected to one router like this:

INTERNET(mac: "X")----(mac: "0")ROUTER(mac: "A")----(mac: "B")WEBSERVER

then:
your server will always receive a message from (mac: "A")

======
The end-end-end communication is given by TCP/UDP (transport layer) and IP (network layer).

I hope taht was of some help.
Tomas

n30 wrote:

Guys,

Lets say i am a web programmer and i want to use strong sessions.

Is it possible for the web server to determine the MAC of clients browsing
the application.

If yes, I can programatically use this MAC address in sessions to prevent
lot of session related attacks.

For right now, say I can implement the web application in any language i
want.

Thanks
-n

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015