Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: detecting wardialing

From: Byron Copeland <nodialtone () comcast net>
Date: 17 Oct 2003 00:02:51 -0400

Don't know of any software that will alert like in an IDS sort of way..
me be impossible.  The phone companies can detect sequential dialing
attempts probably pretty easily.

If the wardialer is used correctly or written to support random dialing
at random intervals or some interval setting and randomness, then may
not be detectable at all.

You could stop it by going off-hook.  Maybe complain to the telephone
company about the number you think is sweeping your block of numbers.
Call the guy and advise him to black list your numbers or else.

thoughts?