Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Another basic PKI question

From: "Ronald Kiss" <rkiss () sympatico ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:02:38 -0400

Hi,
You should also note that the security of the certificate chain depends
on how thorough and secure the validation check is. One assumes that a
higher-level CA has thoroughly checked and validated the identification
information of the certificate is signing. If for some reason this check
is shoddily done, then it calls into question the security of all the
certificates at the lower levels even if it is signed by its private
key. This can be seen in the VeriSign case, where it accidentally
created two certificates for Microsoft (to read the security bulletin go
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/secur
ity/bulletin/MS01-017.asp). As a result, one should only trust the
certificate chain as far as they trust the validation procedure and the
integrity of the information.
Regards,
Ron