Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: TCP Intercept

From: JGrimshaw () ASAP com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:29:44 -0500

Well--I tried it with FTP... and it didn't work!

This FTP was over a secure tunnel.  The tunnel was up and running, but FTP
wouldn't pass through it with TCP Intercept enabled.  More correctly, one
couldn't even log in to the FTP.  It was as if the server didn't exist.

Cisco's blurb on the matter (on their website) suggests that TCP Intercept
doesn't know what to do with TCP options that are negotiated at the
server.  It doesn't know about the options or what to do with them, so it
doesn't do anything with them.  TCP intercept does not negotiate on any
level, just a handshake in the middle to "knit" the connection back
together.  FTP would seem to fall under that category of something that
requires TCP service negotiation.

"Hagen, Eric" <ehagen () DenverNewspaperAgency com>
10/09/2003 05:26 PM

JGrimshaw () ASAP com
cc
security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject
RE: TCP Intercept

TCP intercept works with all TCP traffic, including FTP.  It intercepts
TCP
SYN packets and attempts to initiate the connection for the server, later
knitting them together once the connection is successful.  This kicks into
takes the load off the servers in the event of a SYN flood.

There's also the "watch" mode in IOS, that simply watches for TCP SYN
requests that are sent with no SYN-ACK -> ACK following are agressively
terminated by the router in order to prevent server timeouts (sometimes
over
a minute) from affecting their ability to handle a SYN attack and still
have
something left over to serve to legitimate services.

Either way, they should not break ANY services that follow the TCP
protocol
standards as far as I'm aware.  That includes FTP.  The interaction with
the
router is totally seamless and invisible to the client and server.

It's probably best to only enable it for important servers, reducing the
risk that the router itself becomes bogged down in handling TCP Intercept
operations for non-critical hosts.

I'm curious if there was any information I'm not aware of that would make
you think that TCP Intercept would not work for FTP?   Just curious.

Eric Hagen