Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Basic Questions about PKI

From: Kenneth Buchanan <K.Buchanan () Kastenchase com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:05:16 -0400

That is correct in theory, but we pretend it's not because exploiting that
fact is highly inadvisable.

It is important that you have separate private keys for signing and
decryption.  The operations they perform are, from a theoretical standpoint,
identical, but we treat them as different operations for practical reasons.

At the heart of it is that fact that the policies regulating the usage of
the keys is different.  For instance, it is a good idea for an organization
to have a backup of decryption keys, but should never ever have a backup of
signing keys (this would destroy the non-repudiation aspect of any signature
being created).

Any decent PKI book should explain this.  In any PKI users should be issued
dual key pairs, one pair for signing and signature verification, and one
pair for encryption and decryption.