Security Basics mailing list archives

client firewall recommendations

From: Dana Rawson <absolutezero273c () nzoomail com>
Date: 6 Oct 2003 18:17:39 -0000

Please forgive me for asking such a basic question, but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for.

I have a client installing a cable modem at his business.  He called me up asking if I would bless the installation of
a Linksys BEFSX41 EtherFast firewall at $75 that co-workers recommended, after I recommended the Cisco PIX 501 at $500+.

That would be acceptable to me if it were as secure as the PIX 501. Trouble is I haven't got experience with either
product to have a preference, and I would rather not make a recommendation without having more knowledge, and possibly
be held liable in the future should a security lapse occur.

Is one more secure than another?

Thanks in advance.