Security Basics mailing list archives

Commandline tool for drive ownership

From: jay.stapleton () mnr gov on ca
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:52:42 -0400

Thanks to recent responses, I was able to use xcacls.exe and psexec.exe to
reset permissions on drives remotely.

These are machines in a non-AD domain, running XP pro.

However, on a few of the machines, the "Owner" of a drive is a non-existant
GUID
Is there a command line programme which can take ownership of a drive
xcacls will not allow me to change the ACL of these drives, since I am not
owner (though I am an administrator)
chown.exe will work on files and folders, but not drives.
Computer management will allow me to get drive properties only for local
machines.

Can anyone suggest a utility, or an XP API call which will allow me to run a
script to take ownership?
Basically, a command-line equivalent of the "Take Ownership" function in
Advanced Drive Properties.

Thanks.