Security Basics mailing list archives

Managed OS?

From: Some one <someonenearyou () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:51:31 -0800 (PST)

I have some questions about forth comming Operating
System by Microsoft code named "LongHorn". I have read
on microsoft.com that this OS will be first ever OS
that will be built with managed code.
Now if I am right that would mean that it would and
should eliminated all Buffer Over flows theoratically
right?.

and also I wanted to know that can an entire OS be
built with managed code?

If so if Microsoft is developing the OS with managed
Code that would mean no WIN32?? and that would be a
complete rewrite ?? or just the same code will be
compiled with buffer over flow protection on some
intelligent compiler.??
As far as I know all technologies like .NET or MFC
were all built on top of WIN32 API,  and it is the
official langauage of Microsoft (though we had some
limited support for POSIX and OS/2 libraries).

If I am right what would happen to legacy applications
built on Win32 ??