Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What is the meaning of BIT in Encryption

From: Adam Newhard <atnewhard () microstrain com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:22:54 -0500

Yeah, that's basically it. bit 99.9% of the time refers to the number of bits in the key length. like des 128 is a 128 bit key length des encryption alg.

Cheetah wrote:

What is the meaning of BIT in Encryption ?
hmm.. unless that is some acronym I never heard before,
a bit in encryption is just a bit..  as in "eight bits make a byte".

No, what he is thinking of is things like 48-bit encryption, 128-bit
encryption, etc.
Personaly I'm wondering about this myself. The more bits the stronger the
encryption, but that's
as far as my understanding goes.

How is asymmetric encrytion work? Is there a simple ducument to
describe this kind of encryption?
There a probably a million.
Try this:  go to www.howstuffworks.com and use the search function
to search for:    public key cryptography

That will give you quite a lot to start with.

-
--

.