Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Service install without permissions

From: "JM" <jm () mindless com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:27:45 -0000

If theses machines don't "belong" to you, I would suggest that installing
apps/services without Admin privleges is the way it is meant to be. You
would be installing your apps on a machine owned by someone else, they
should have the ability to control this.

How would you feel if an audit of PCs/Servers under your control, revealed
that someone had written an application specifically to avoid the controls
you had put in place.  I would send the software to the local admin, and
have then install it, in a controlled manner.

If however they are "your" machines, you can psexec (from sysinternals) and
run the installation's remotely, or remote control, or use a temporary
password for the runas command

Cheers

JM