Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MAC Authentication device

From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler () macfinity de>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:23:53 +0100

Can anyone recommend a device that will do MAC Address Authentication
before allowing a user/computer to connect to the network.  This is
different then MAC Address filtering, which allow or disallow access
to the Internet for the the systems that are already on the network.

I am trying to find a cheap device that will help me control
non-employees accessing our trusted network.

Managed switches may allow you to do so (i.e. will block the respective
port if the MAC address doesn't match), but AFAIK they are going to
cost. Also keep in mind that MAC addresses can be easily spoofed.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

managed switches can be used for this issue, but you have to keep in mind
that even these might be crackable (via MAC flooding -- overload the
switches MAC table(s) makes them escape to a mode that equals a
hub/mutliport repeater)...

--
so long,

timo