Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Accessing corporate servers through the web..

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:41:49 +0100

On 2003-11-17 Chris Berry wrote:
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
(d) VNC (win 2K server)

Most VNC servers I know of don't support encryption (there may be
others), so you are again transferring unencrypted data through the
net. And I fail to see why one would want to use VNC on a Windows
2000 server.

You can work around the problems of weak or no encryption by using
VPNs or encrypted tunnels and the like, but that may not be feasible
in any case. What are you trying to accomplish, if i might ask?

Simple, it's free and crossplatform.  If you run it through ssh or a
similiar encrypted tunnel, it's also secure and easy to use.  Terminal
services takes money and only works on windows.

Wrong. According to the OP there is already a Windows 2000 server, and
as long as one only uses terminal services in remote administration mode
there are no additional costs. Microsoft provides RDP clients for
Windows and Mac OS, and rdesktop enables you to log into Windows
terminal servers from Linux/Unix clients.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers