Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Temporary internet files analyser

From: "Simon Gray" <simong () desktop-guardian com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:32:59 -0000

Hi,

Is there a software to analyse temporary internet files on users computer
that
would display : url of sites, time & day and other infos for an windows2000
workstation ?
I'm currently worried about some users ..

win2k workstation - not as far as i know.

You might be better off running a web proxy such as squid
(http://www.squid-cache.org/) instead, because if the users know that at
certain times you'll be checking their machines they could clear
history/cookies etc.. Then you'd loose any potential data, where as if they
have to pass through a machine to access the internet that machine can do
all the loggin in a single place for you. I'm sure web stats packages should
be able to run on the log files of squid, which would then give you graph of
usage.

You should be able to turn off the caching and just use it logging on it.

Hope this helps

Simon

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027