Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Dropping ICMP Echo Request

From: Rodrigo Otaviano <rodrigo () otaviano com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:58:43 -0800

Oh sorry Mike, actually I forgot to mention something: my client is using
Windows 2000 Server. They have Microsoft ISA Server installed ( which I
don't have so much experience on ), but I couldn't figure out a way to
achieve my goals with it because these ICMP packets are been sent to the
entire subnet and as far as I know, I can only apply filter rules on
interfaces the ISA Server is attached to.

The situation is something like this:

     flooding of icmp packets

      GATEWAY - ISA SERVER ( x.y.z.5)

x.y.z.6           x.y.3z.7                x.y.z.8

So I decided to go for Snort, since they don't want to spend a lot of money
on this. My objetive here was to use Snort on this gateway and drop any ICMP
packets directed to any of these IP addresses.

Rodrigo Otavio Paes de Barros Otaviano