Security Basics mailing list archives

Firewall, ping and nmap

From: getting_out <getting_out () tele2 it>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:55:21 +0100

Good morning.

I have a debian woody on witch I've configured a firewall (iptables) with the following rules

$ sudo iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
block      all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
block      all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain block (2 references)
target  prot opt source    destination
ACCEPT  all  --  anywhere  anywhere    state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
REJECT  all  --  anywhere  anywhere    reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

If I'm connected on the internet, via modem (ppp0), I can do a ping and get responses from hosts. If I'm connected in a LAN, and do a ping, I don't receive any response unless I shut down the firewall (iptables -F).

With npam, instead I must always shut down the firewall.

Can anyone enlighten me?

thanks and bye

Dvd (<-- It's for David :))

PS: please, forgive my English

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------