Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Folder level Security

From: "Anders Reed-Mohn" <anders_rm () utepils com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:15:07 +0100

I have a windows2k network and am trying to lock down a folder in such
a way that users can view the files only. They should not be allowed
to copy the files onto their desktop and make changes. Just View.

I doubt this is possible at all. If a user is able to read data, why
wouldn't he be able to save it elsewhere? Even if you could also prevent
him from saving the files, he could still transcribe them.

Even DRM won't solve this problem since they could still take a screen
shot,
or even photograph the screen.  If you just don't want most of them to be
able to edit them easily, why not save them as .pdf files?

Though it still has the same problems as DRM, that users kan transcribe or
take photos or whatever, Citrix Metaframe/Terminal services can be
configured
so that users cannot transfer data from their Terminal session to their
local desktops.

Cheers,
Anders :)

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027