Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Enforce Virus Scanning software on home PCs

From: "Nicole Nicholson" <nanicholson () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:15:08 -0700

Craig-

I believe you can configure the Cisco VPN client to run at boot, forcing the user to log in to your network before doing anything else. You can then set up a login script to make sure their AV is up to date. The only added cost, of course, would be the additional AV licenses for home use. This would probably still be considerable cheaper than buying another product (e.g., Aventail) that would verify the AV software presence. (I have not looked at Aventail in a while, so I'm not sure they are still around, been acquired, etc.)

Cheers.

-Nicole

<snip>

Our company is in the grips of an issue we wish we didn't have to deal
with.  Our VPs insist on using their own home PCs despite the fact that we
give them corporate laptops.

We want to prevent users from connecting to the corporate LAN if they
don't have a personal firewall installed as well as an up to date virus
scanner package.

We use Cisco VPN 3000 concentrators with the 3.6x vpn client.
We use Zone Labs Zone Alarm Pro 3.7
We use McAfee virus scan 4.5.1 with latest super dats.

Based on this info, is there a way we can prevent users from accessing the
LAN if the virus software is not installed or up to date?

We can prevent them from connecting if they don't have the firewall
installed...its the virus stuff that has us stumped.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Craig Brauckmiller