Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: About Operating Systems security

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:26:23 -0500

It may be more secure, then again it may not.  It could just be that there
are more used of certain proprietary OSes, so more people attempting to
break in, finding more flaws.

I think if you read the studies with an open mind (instead of the
pre-conceived notion you seem to have), the data isn't all that clear.

"Prove nobody has ever broken into a (properly configured) xyz".

You can't prove a negative.  So your proof, that open source is the highest
security, is flawed.

The 'many eyes' theory is only valid IF people actually do review the code.
Given recent events, such as the sendmail flaw that's been there for many,
many years (since 1988 IIRC), it's clearly NOT true, even for the most used
programs.

Once you get away from the top 10 or 20 or 100 applications and servers,
into stuff written by one or two individuals and maintained by them for many
years, with a few 100s or 1000s of (non-hostile) users, all bets are off.

-----Burton