Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: "Jay Woody" <jay_woody () tnb com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:46:42 -0500

Send them an e-mail telling them they have won $1,000,000 and you need
their name and address.

JayW

P.S. We just went through this too and there is basically nothing.  We
started blocking mail from that address, but they can just get another
one if they are really persistent.  We changed the person's e-mail
address also, from John.Smith to John.X.Smith or something like that too
for external mail.  About all you can do is get the police or FBI
involved.  Sorry.

"steve baker" <stephenbbaker () hotmail com> 05/27/03 11:38AM >>>
One of our users has received questionable and possibly life
threatening
emails from a yahoo account that was created recently.  They have
approached
us to find out as much as we can pertaining to the person sending it.

Of course, we are not YAHOO so we cannot determine anything about the
mail
other than the content.

How can we find out who sent this?