Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security for Notebooks

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:50:28 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: JAVIER OTERO [mailto:jotero () SMARTEKH com]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 09:35 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Security for Notebooks

I am serching for two diferent solutions:

1) If the notebook is lost or stoned a software that can inform, via >internet, the ip where is connected.

http://www.computersecurity.com/stealth/

http://www.laptrak.com/

2) If some one takes the notebook from the bilding any chip or similar that >alerts, may by using an arc or similar

That's a bit more difficult: laptops are SUPPOSED to be easily portable.

this is for about 300.

300 units. . .any specific budget in mind ?  Shaping a solution is often controlled by the funds available to implement
it. .

I also like encrypting the Hard Drive, to make the data on the disk useless as well. . .for that, I go with the
tried-and-true: PGP. . .

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics