Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: suggestions on a good firewall

From: silvia ghezzi <ghezzi_silvia () yahoo de>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 01:19:24 -0700 (PDT)

Talking about firewalls, I have experience only with
Gauntlet, and I was not really happy with it.
It was too much complicated to understand and to be
used and here was a real lack of support.
Now I have been using PIX for a couple of months, and
I am happy.

But I still had to fight with my management (which is
not really IT oriented). Since we have a full Windows
2000 environment with Windows experienced people, they
made pressure to have MS ISA server as a firewall.
Right now I could got PIX for our remote office, but
they are still thinking to go for ISa for oher future
remote offices.

I have only a little experience on ISA, so I cannot
judge. but I still consider it not as a firewall but
as a HTTP proxy.

Is there someone more into it than me, that can tell
me about the advantags and/or disadvantages of having
ISA as a firewall?

Thanks
Silvia