Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: TCP/IP services, Win2k, and Snort.

From: "Mark Ng" <laptopalias1-mark () informationintelligence net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:22:56 +0100

Hi,

If you're in a situation where your security needs are very tight, you could
put a recieve only ethernet cable on the machine (google about, there should
be a guide on the internet).  Your switch may need special configuration to
send traffic to this port though.

This will ensure that the only attacks that should be possible against this
machine are denial of service attacks, due to the fact that an attacker
cannot get any network data back from the machine.

I guess my question is--without an IP address, in pasive sniffer mode,
and setting aside any vulnerabilities in snort (recent RPC and stream4
fr'instance), can its presence be detected (via MAC address?), and if
so, with TCP/IP turned off for the interface, what kind of exploitation
could it be vulnerable to?  I know there are papers about how to detect
promiscuous interfaces.

Such as:  Having obtained the MAC address on the sniffing interface,
could pure 802.b packets be sent to try to crack the box?

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics