Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: LANguard vs Nessus

From: "Seth Connolly" <sethc () firstcash com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:53:44 -0500

LANguard is great.  I use it all of the time to find all kinds of info on
the network.  I've caught people with unauthorized open shares, p2p
programs, trojans (open ports), spyware (it can list running processes
(v3.x) and services), and more with this scanner.  Version 3.x will find
installed/missing patches in win2k (and allows you to push them) and has
scan templates for different scans but this version costs money (little
steep for smaller companies).  Version 2.x is free and works well.  Version
3.x has a 30 day trial period.  I haven't tried nessus yet but I'm hoping to
find the time to take a look at it.