Security Basics mailing list archives

routed on firewall

From: Raghu Chinthoju <raghu_chinthoju () adp com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:04:46 +0530

Hi Group,

We have a Checkpoint firewall running on a Solaris 2.6 box. We have a
requirement to let our internal networks learn the RIP (v2) routes learned
by the routers outside the firewall. We are planning to run routed provided
by Solaris to learn the RIP routes from the outside interface and propagate
them to the inside network. I have following questions:

1. What do you think about this solution? Is it good?

2. Do I have any other option other than running a routing daemon to
propagate RIP routes from the outside interface to inside interface? (I know
Solaris 2.6 in.routed doesn't support RIP-v2, but RIP-v1 it will do my job
with little hassle. Any suggestions about other routing daemons are welcome)

3. Does it impose any security risk in running a routing daemon on a
critical system like firewall? If yes, what kind of risk you can foresee and
can you suggest any ways to mitigate it?

Your opinions/suggestions in this regard are very much appreciated.

Regards,
Raghu

This message is confidential and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
postmaster () adpwilco com immediately. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to
any other person. The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not reflect the
views and opinions of ADP Wilco.