Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSH Passphrase

From: "Janus N." Tøndering <janus () bananus dk>
Date: 07 Mar 2003 11:51:03 +0100

If you use a password protected keyfile you need to have ssh-agent
running to do password-less logins. You can let ssh-agent span over
several sessions by setting the SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable to
the same as the session where you ran ssh-agent. If you do not use
passphrases you can only protect the key using basic file permissions.

Under all circumstances you have to trust root on the machine you store
your key. root can always get the key and if you password protect it but
use ssh-agent he can do the same SSH_AUTH_SOCK trick and bypass the
needed password. Also, the box could be cracked and assuming the cracker
has root he will have access to the scp system with trouble at all.

Janus