Security Basics mailing list archives

Win2000 Directory Permissions

From: "Simon Taplin" <SimonT () lantic net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 13:19:47 +0200

I'v been running the permission settings below on my NT4 workstation PC's
for students. I'm now upgrading the machines to Win2000. Do I need to change
any of the settings below for Workstations and Servers? Especially the
server running IIS?

I got these from the TechRepublic newsletter.

Simon

On these folders:

* \Winnt
* \Winnt\system
* \Winnt\system32
* \Winnt\system32\config
* \Winnt\system32\drivers

Apply these permissions:

* Administrators: Full Control
* Creator Owner: Full Control
* Everyone: Read
* System: Full Control

On \Winnt\repair, the only permission you should set is Administrators:
Full Control.

On \Winnt\system32\spool, apply these permissions:

* Administrators: Full Control
* Creator Owner: Full Control
* Everyone: Read
* Power Users: Change
* System: Full Control

On Boot.ini, Ntdetect.com, and Ntldr, apply:

* Administrators: Full Control
* System: Full Control

On Autoexec.bat and Config.sys, apply:

* Everyone: Read
* Administrators: Full Control

---
This mail is hopefully virus free as it has been

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfsbl1