Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Strange Packet logs in ipchains

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:58:52 -0600

STFW

The 169.254.0.0/16 block is reserved for machines with unassigned addresses
and no access to dhcp/bootp.  The trailing digits are some mangle of the MAC
address, so that a small network can - peer-to-peer- set itself up without
collisions.

See RFC 3330 - http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt

   169.254.0.0/16 - This is the "link local" block.  It is allocated for
   communication between hosts on a single link.  Hosts obtain these
   addresses by auto-configuration, such as when a DHCP server may not
   be found.

Me thinks you have a machine or two that couldn't connect to the dhcp
server.  Once the link local address is assigned, of course, the user can't
connect to anything (since you're not routing them...) so they probably just
rebooted.

I've seen this happen when you boot up the machine and forget to connect the
cable to the network card, then do so after it's up.  Since the dhcp stuff
has timed out, the machine has a 169.254 address...

-----Burton