Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Home users with VPN connections

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:34:34 -0800

From: "James Lee Gromoll" <jgromoll () hotmail com>
If you are going to have home users VPN'd to your net, then the easiest and cleanest way to do that is to set up the home machine with a removable HD bay. Provide a 'company' drive and let the home user provide his own for home use. Set his 'company' drive up how you like, lock down the OS and give him the normal user access he would have at a company workstation. This is about $100 per workstation.

I think that's probably the best solution I've heard to that problem. Simple, cheap, and effective, I like it. The user will grumble about having to reboot to access company resources, but that's acceptable. Question though, how are you going to handle it if they have a complicated home setup, or if they change their internet connection?

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"The packets involved in the transmission of this email were manually inspected by: Bob Smith, stateful packet inspector #23."