Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: question about blocking ports in W2K

From: "Bruyere, Michel" <mbruyere () ezemcanada com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:07:42 -0500

Hi,
        You can setup a "personnal firewall" on your W2K box if you don't
want to put a router and using NAT. BTW using NAT doesn't give you "much
more" security, in fact the combination firewall-NAT can give you a good
security (or at least a good start).  I've been running an XP station right
on the public side of our corp link (for testing purposes) and here is the
setup i had.
A Linksys Router doing NAT and the incorporated firewall(was using port
forwarding for the needed services) + Zone alarm on the station allowing
only the services we wanted. few months later, Nothing bad happenend to the
sation...

Hope this help

Just My 0.02$

Michel B.