Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Vendor wants remote control of our Servers and Workstations

From: Glenn English <ghe () slsware com>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 11:00:25 -0700

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 07:45, John Brightwell wrote:

Personally I think allowing this level of access to an
internal system is a big risk. Bear in mind that if
this vendor uses the same method to support a number
of customers the vendor may be a choice subject to
attack (someone may break into their network to gain
access to a targetted customer network). So, even if
your company isn't a premium target you may still get
hit.

I'll be interested to hear other people's comments ...
more and more vendors are proposing this sort of
support access (they save a lot of time in dealing
with problems because they don't have to interact with
the customer - I'd say that they can also 'relax' the
quality requirements in recruiting engineers because
their deficiancy is less obvious to the customer when
there's little interaction).

I'm but a newbie, but according to 'most everything I've read here and
in books, this customer's request falls into the "don't be silly"
category: giving that kind of access to your networks and servers just
isn't done.

Might it not be better to install a new machine, call the arrangement
with them "co-location", and let them do anything with it they want? And
then have them give *you* access to *their* machine?

It is, of course, possible that I'm missing something here...

--
Glenn English
ghe () slsware com