Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Justifying the spend on a vulnerability scanner

From: "Vlad Tsyrklevich" <vlad () zoomstats org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:56:53 +0900

Well first off you didn't tell us who you work for, if you work for the computer systems of a bank it's different then that for a farm :-), bassicly I would say, people wouldn't trust you because data could be stolen so they wouldn't use your services, major time to fix it and patch it and find what it left and get rid of it, but tell us what you work for and I'm sure we can come up with some good situations >;]

JM writes:
As the subject says, this is what I have got to do. I could dream up loads of examples of; if we dont detect a code read virus and we get it, then it will knock out our webservers and others until we fix it. if we have open null shares on the network, and unrestricted access to remote registries people can do what they want....... But does anyone have any thoughts to share, on how I can successfully convince my management that the spend on a vulnerability scanner is worthwhile. Thanks in advance
JM

--
-Vlad Tsyrklevich