Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: sniffing packets on a switch

From: "Fields, James" <James.Fields () bcbsfl com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:44:41 -0500

Several posters have replied recommending you use Ettercap.  I strongly urge
you NOT to do this if you are on a corporate network.  Ettercap attempts to
defeat the normal behavior of the switched environment using something
called "arp poisoning" to trick hosts on the switch into sending you their
packets.

Use of Ettercap may cause degraded performance of the sniffed hosts or the
subnet in general, especially if it is a busy subnet.  At my company this
would grounds for immediate termination and possibly legal action.