Security Basics mailing list archives

re: Auditing in WinXP

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:34:58 -0700 (PDT)

But I don't no were to view any of the Audited logs
that
would show any failed login attempts and so on.

You'd view these in the same place you see the other
events...in the Event Viewer.  In the case of failed
logon attempts, they would appear in the Security
Event Log.

I gain little information about what that process
was,
and so I can't judge whether the event was a
security
risk or just a system process.

If you're referring to having Process Tracking
enabled, then you should be able to judge by the
security context that the process is initiated in as
to whether or not it's a "security risk".

HTH,

Harlan