Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall on server itself

From: "Mitchell Rowton" <mitchell () attackprevention com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:28:40 -0600

I agree that any device that has more stringent access requirements
should be placed in an environment that will allow more granular
control of the authorization.  (=put server in DMZ)

However adding iptables would be consistent with industry practices
Defense In Depth
Enclave Boundary Defense (not just perimeter defense)
M&M Security (hard on outside, soft and squishy on inside)

Perhaps the iptables could defend against an intruder who is already
through the firewall because of many reasons:

Insider threat

Firewall vender specific vulnerabilities

Maybe you could just make device specific rules more restrictive that
the firewall that covers ever device.

I’m sure there are other good reasons but in general any important
device should have its own access controls (in my opinion)

Mitchell