Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: 40-bit VS 128-bit Encryption

From: Alexandre.Steinberg () RSDB rohde-schwarz com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:56:06 -0300

Hello,

You can find information about it at http://www.bxa.doc.gov/ - Bureau of
Industry and Security.

For MS politics, you can find at http://www.microsoft.com/exporting/

Regards,

Alexandre Steinberg

"Jonathan Grotegut" <jgrotegut () directpointe com>
23/06/2003 13:50

       To:     "phil baskers" <phil () baskerville cjb net>,
security-basics () securityfocus com
       cc:     (bcc: Alexandre Steinberg/RSDB)
       Subject:        RE: 40-bit VS 128-bit Encryption

Morning,

I am with you Phil in the fact that I could be wrong as well.  However,
if memory serves correctly, they have relaxed the export laws a little
bit.  I believe the US will allow 128 bit encryption to be exported,
except to a specific list of countries, i.e. Iraq, Iran, etc.  I
unfortunately don't know where I heard/read that information or where it
can be verified.  Perhaps the DOJ website?

Jonathan Grotegut